One of the things that's become very apparent is Rachel's affinity for puns and bad jokes. Whether in class or out, there's always something to laugh about. The most classic example was earlier in the week, when I was discussing the discovery of pharmacological agents used in neuroscience research from natural sources. We talked about tetrodotoxin from puffer fish, atropine from nightshade, etc. When I asked the students if they knew what was in foxglove, without missing a beat, "fox hands" burst from the back of the classroom. This, as it turns out, was only the beginning. I'll try and keep a running log of the good ones (while tastefully ignoring the bad) in future posts.
After classes finished up, we headed out with the students to Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, where the talented Rachel had devised a scavenger hunt for the students to wander through the cemetery to find the graves of famous French scientists and other individuals of note.
The prize was 5 macaroons that we picked up at lunchtime. We determined that if there were fewer than five students in the winning group that the remaining macaroons should be divided amongst program leadership. As I noted, no matter which the students come out on top, it's important the we (the faculty) always win.
Here are some of the highlights:
Chopin
Oscar Wilde (lots of lipstick on this one - I guess that's a thing)
Finally, I made it a point to ensure that I visited Jim's tomb (definitely The End for him).
Afterward, we had a pretty low key end to the day, sitting at a cafe, drinking Rose, and watching the passersby. We're clearly integrating well into the Parisian culture.





No comments:
Post a Comment